LINKS to some Collaborative Living and Aging Options
- The NORC Model in Canada called OASIS which started in Kingston, Ontario
- Co-Housing Models in Canada – offers several models and options for creating private dwellings that are supplemented by common facilities and spaces
BOOKS that can change our thinking about Aging
Healthy Aging, Life Design and Retirement Planning
- Aging Well, by George E. Vaillant, 2002 (It’s a Classic!)
- A Long, Bright Future, by Laura Carstensen, Founding Director of Standford Centre on Longevity, 2009
- A New Purpose: Redefining Money, Family, Work, Retirement and Success, by Ken Dychtwald and Daniel Kadlec, 2009.
- Connected: How Your Friends’ Friends’ Friends Affect Everything You Feel, Think, and Do. by Nicholas Christakis and James Fowler, 2011.
- Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life, Bill Burnett and Dave Evans, 2017
- Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Suprising Appeal of Living Alone, by Eric Klinenberg, 2012
- Healthy Aging: A Lifelong Guide to your Physical and Spiritual Well-being, by Andrew Weil, 2005.
New Rules of Retirement: What Your Financial Advisor Isn’t Telling You, by Warren MacKenzie, and Ken Hawkins. 2008.
- Old Age: A Beginner’s Guide, by Michael Kinsley, 2016
- Resilience: Why Things Bounce Back, by Andrew Zolli and Anne Marie Healy, 2012
- Stayin’ Alive. By Michael Adams, 2010.
- The Big Shift: Navigating the New Stage Beyond Midlife, by Marc Freedman, 2011.
Health Planning, Decision-Making and Caregiving
- Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End, by Atul Guwande, 2014
- Take Good Care: Finding Your Joy in Compassionate Caregiving, by Cynthia Orange, 2017
- The Good Caregiver: A One-of -a-Kind Compassionate Resource for Anyone Caring for a Aging Loved One, by Robert L.Kane with Jaannine Ouelette, 2011
- When Someone You Know has Dementia, by June Andrews, May 2016
Co-Housing and Accessible Home Design
- The Accessible Home: Designing for All Ages and Abilities, by Deborah Peirce, 2012
- The Senior Cohousing Handbook: A Community Approach to Independent Living. Second Edition. by Charles Durrett, 2009
- Reinventing Community, Stories from the Walkways of Co-Housing, Edited By David Wann, 2005
Collaborative Consumption Models
- Cognitive Surplus: Creativity and Generosity in a Connected Age by Clay Shirky, 2010
- MacroWikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World, (Chapter 10: Collaborative Healthcare) by Don Tapscott and Anthony D. Williams, 2010
- What’s Mine is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption, by Racheal Botsman and Roo Rogers, 2010.